Unfortunately, when a pipe bursts, it is not always the clean water pipe. Fortunately, sewage remediation is a service that we offer here at Restoration Authority. Sewage clean-up is very important to ensure the safety of those involved. Cleaning up sewage can be dangerous because it can contain harmful bacteria. This is a job for professionals to make sure everyone is safe.
What is Sewage Water?
Sewage water is water that has been contaminated by use. Flushing the toilet, dishes, and laundry release wastewater. The used water exits the house from pipes and goes into the sewers. Most sewage water consists of grey and black water. Grey water is wastewater from washing, showering, dishes, or laundry. Black water is the water from toilets.
Dangers of Sewage Water
Not only does it smell bad and look disgusting, but it can be harmful, and even deadly. Sewage can contain many bacteria and harmful organisms. Some of these harmful pathogens include:
- Salmonella: It can survive outside of a living host, making it one of the most dangerous types of bacteria in sewage. Salmonella is responsible for gastroenteritis, typhoid fever, and paratyphoid fever; all of which can be deadly.
- E. coli: Is found in the lower intestine, and linked to food poisoning, food prepared in unsanitary conditions, and contaminated water.
- Listeria: Commonly found in nature it can lead to a deadly infection called listeriosis. In healthy adults most infections only cause mild symptoms. However for those who are elderly or have weak immune systems this can lead to fatality.
- Adenovirus: This causes respiratory infections like pneumonia, croup, and bronchitis. It is the second most common cause of respiratory illness for children and can be fatal.
Our Sewage Remediation Process
As a total restoration company, Restoration Authority doesn’t just get rid of sewage, but we also restore your property back to normal. We know how dangerous sewage problems can be, which is why we offer so many sewage clean-up services.
For a thorough job and to protect your health you should hire Restoration Authority. Our team uses commercial grade equipment to extract sewage water and dry out the area. We remove affected materials, sanitize and disinfect, prevent mold, deodorize, and restore your home to the original condition it was.
Sewage and Water Extraction
Commercial grade pumps remove water from the affected area.
Removal and Disposal
Materials that cannot be saved or restored are removed and disposed. This may include plaster, drywall, ceilings, carpeting, carpet padding, and personal items.
Professional equipment ensures fast drying, and preventing further damage. Depending on the level of damage drying out can take several days.
Sanitize, Disinfect, and Deodorize
This is accomplished through professional cleaning methods such as ozone cleaning or hydroxyl treatments. While you may want to try and do it yourself store-bought cleaners won’t have the same effect as professional ones.
This is the last step which restores the home to its original condition. Part of the reconstruction process may involve hanging new drywall, putting in new carpet, or installing new cabinetry. It may also be necessary to fix or replace damaged appliances or fix any structural issues.
Why Do I Need a Professional Sewage Clean-up Crew?
Using a professional cleaner protects your health and ensures a thorough job well done. Raw sewage can make you ill and is not something you should expose yourself to. A professional cleaner also has access to commercial-grade cleaning products and equipment. Store bought cleaners and methods pale in comparison to a professional job.
Do not handle your sewage situation yourself, but we highly advise that you call a professional for your sewage backup cleanup. There are a few reasons why:
- Safety: As professionals, we have the right equipment and training to handle these situations. Sewage is considered a biohazard because it can carry bacteria that can get you sick. Our trained team can remove the sewage without being exposed to such hazards.
- Other Problems: Sewage is usually result of bigger issues like a burst pipe or leads to bigger issues. Restoration Authority’s team is trained to clean the sewage but also to look for the cause or other issues the sewage may have created that might have otherwise gone overlooked by an untrained eye.
- Restoration: Sewage clean-up is just the beginning of the repairs needed to get your home or business back to normal. These issues go hand in hand with water damage. We can repair and restore your property so you can get back to normal.
What causes a Sewage Clean-Up Situation?
- Using toilets incorrectly. When you flush items down the toilet (plastic, sanitary items, paper, etc.) that should be thrown into the trash, it can clog your pipes. Clogged pipes can cause the water to overflow or the pipe to break.
- Cooking fats. Some foods such as bacon naturally have a lot of fats and oils. You should never dump fats or oils down the drain. When you dump grease and oil down your sink it accumulates fast to the walls of the pipes. This in time can lead to complete blockage of the sewage system.
- Over Capacity of Wastewater. Sewers will overflow when they fill to capacity. Some of these reasons are blockages, line breaks, power failures, vandalism, improper design, and sewer defects.
While it may be tempting to do it yourself, you may be putting your health and family at risk. Leave sewage clean-up to the professionals. Call us today at 630-995-3516. We have emergency screws standing by 24/7.